hide python code !

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEME.cybersource.com.au
Thu Aug 10 20:21:07 EDT 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:03:51 -0700, Bayazee wrote:

> hi
> in compiled languages when we compile a code to an executable file it
> convert to a machine code so now we cant access to source ...

There are disassemblers for machine code. If somebody really wants to see
how your code works, they can do it.

> but in python we easily open the program executable(ascii) file and read
> source  ....

Yes. That is by design.

> i meen than any way to protect my code or convert it to executable witch
> can not be decompiled (python code)....

In your first email, you wrote:

"First Iranian Open Source Community : www.python.ir"

Hiding source code is incompatible with Open Source software. You can hide
code, or be Open Source, but not both.

What makes you think that your code is so special that it is worth
stealing? Do you have incredible secret algorithms that nobody has ever
seen before? Or are you just so ashamed of it that you don't want people
to see it?

Or maybe you've copied other people's code, and you don't want them to see
that? What are you hiding?

Whatever your reasons for hiding the source code, there are things which
you can do to obfuscate Python code which will make it difficult for
people to get to the source code. Google for "python obfuscate" for links.
But I'm guessing that, if you hide your source code, most people will
wonder what you are hiding and avoid your program.

If you really want something which compiles to machine code, then Python
is not the language for you. Use another language.

--
Steven D'Aprano