wxPython and Py2exe crashes in "window" mode but not in "console" mode

Jerry jweida at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 14:51:33 EDT 2006

I have created an application using wxPython and compiled it using
py2exe.  When I put

setup(console=['myscript.py'])

in my setup.py file, the resulting application runs just fine.  But
when I change it to

setup(windows=['myscript.py'])

The application crashes without any indication of what happened.
During this particular point in the application it calls a
gethostbyaddr and gethostbyname and does a spawnl to another
application.  When I use Tkinter, this does not happen.  I've searched
around Google and the py2exe and wxPython sites and haven't found
anything that seems to relate to this.

Details:
All are binary distributions for Windows running on Windows XP SP2
ActivePython 2.4.3 Build 12
wxPython 2.6.3.3 (ansi) for Python 2.4
py2exe 0.6.5

Any ideas?