text editor suggestion?

Sat Aug 19 17:57:42 EDT 2006

milosz wrote:
> Did you try gedit?
> It has an options, which you need, I think.
> Regards.

Yes, I tried it and it's alright, but it doesn't support smart
indentation or much customizing of syntax highlighting (i.e. you can
change the color of functions, but you can't define what a 'function'
is, or at least I have no idea where this can be done). It seems like
what most editors do is highlight user-defined functions as they are
defined, so:

def func()

'func' would be highlighted here, but not when you call it elsewhere in
your script. Furthermore, there isn't support for built-in Python
functions and methods.

The thing I liked about UltraEdit is that you can define your own groups
of words and put whatever words you want in there, so my file had a
group called '__builtins__' and it listed all the Python built-in
methods, and those would be highlighted. Most editors I see don't seem
to allow this...they just figure out what a function or method is on
their own somehow.