Pros/Cons of Turbogears/Rails?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Aug 29 08:12:13 EDT 2006

Ray wrote:

> It can certainly make money--true. "Don't seek any meaning in what they
> do"?! You're just accusing a lot of honest hardworking people to be
> mindless drones there. We have feelings too, you know :(

Well, I'm sorry for the unintentional insult. However, I've come to
believe that some people have the personality traits that let them
tolerate redoing the same work over and over again for no reason other
than management "furniture rearranging", whereas others start to resent
having their (working) life repeatedly flashed before their eyes, but
in slightly different colours, over a longer period of time. If there's
some kind of art that somehow increases tolerance of such things in a
humane way, I'd be interested to know what it is.

[...]

> Well, I posted in this group a few weeks ago because I was trying to
> convince the managers to give Python a try and was looking for
> additional ammo. In the end Django is out because of its lack of
> support for Oracle. But it's a catch 22 isn't it?

In the end, provided you have the time and energy (or money) for it,
you just have to make your own plan for bridging whatever gap there is
in the functionality of whatever open source project you intend to
employ professionally. I was once in a similar situation myself, with
Oracle products as well, where I had to put in the work myself to get
the necessary support needed for having my Python plus Oracle code
working in an environment that was Python-sceptical at best. I guess
the code was ultimately taken out of production, and everyone went over
to a pure Java strategy, but you can't always infuence people by
lobbying.

> We're a Java shop so
> our developers are trained in Java, Struts, Tomcat, etc. Any switch to
> a dynamic language will be a huge change. However it baffles me that
> they are open to at least a PoC in Rails. but when I suggested Python,
> they went: "nah we're not interested in Python. Rails it is."
>
> *shrugs* whatever it is, those guys are doing something right.

Making the Java people feel like they're doing something wrong, I
guess. And perhaps the Rails people realised that by giving those
people who lack direction, motivation, conviction or a sense of purpose
or control something to gravitate towards, some of them might feel
empowered enough to evangelise their discovery to the rest of the
group.

Paul