Segmentation Fault

thomas.samson at gmail.com thomas.samson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 08:43:50 EDT 2006

"Simon Forman" <rogue_pedro at yahoo.com> writes:

> pycraze wrote:
>> I would like to ask a question. How do one handle the exception due to
>> Segmentation fault due to Python ?  Our bit operations and arithmetic
>> manipulations are written in C and to some of our testcases we
>> experiance Segmentation fault from the python libraries.
>>
>> If i know how to handle the exception for Segmentation fault , it will
>> help me complete the run on any testcase , even if i experiance Seg
>> Fault due to any one or many functions in my testcase.
>
> AFAIK, seg fault kills your program dead.  There's no exception to
> handle.  If you're getting seg faults from the python standard library,
> that's a pretty serious thing, way more serious than just not-passed
> testcases.

Segfault handling is platform-dependant... So, at least on unix-like
platform, you can use the signal module to detect segfault:

import signal

def handler(signum, frame):
    print 'Segfault detected'
    # you may use the stack frame here to help debugging

signal.signal(signal.SIGSEGV, handler)

--
Thomas SAMSON
"You're very sure of your facts, " he said at last, "I