Best IDE for Python

hiaips rosedb0 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 09:48:24 EDT 2006

I'm assuming that FOS = "free open source"...

In any case, what operating system do you run? If you're on OS X, I
highly recommend TextMate. It's not free, but it has good support
(either via built-in or third-party plugins) for Python as well as
HTML, SQL, XML, Django templates, and the like. A lot of Rails folks
use it (as well as Django and TurboGears developers, I might add).

The best general-purpose IDE for Python, IMO, is WingIDE. Again, it's
not free (personal license will cost you $30). It runs on each of the
major platforms - Windows, Linux, OS X - and has some nice features,
including code completion, syntax highlighting, a built-in Python
shell, etc. I don't think it has any features built-in specifically for
web dev, however; if you have to do lots of HTML, XML, and SQL as part
of your project, you might want something a bit more general-purpose.

If you're determined to go the FOSS route, you can always use VIM,
Emacs, Eric, or SPE.

Just my two cents...

--dave