Embedding Python in C/C++

kingcrustybun ericcoetzee at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 09:54:00 EDT 2006

We are still struggling with this but having spent many hours looking
at related code on the net, i have noticed the following sequence quite
a lot

globals = PyDict_New();
PyDict_SetItemString(globals, "__builtins__", PyEval_GetBuiltins());

Can anyone explain what this does exactly? I know what "__builtins__"
is from a Python perspective but cant understand why you would want to
add it to another newly created dictionary?

Also, where can i find info on PyEval_GetBuiltins().
It does not appear in the Release 2.4.3 Python/C API Reference index at
http://docs.python.org/api/genindex.html

In fact there are a whole lot of PyEval_??? items which do not appear
in this index.

Are these deprecated? If so what does on use now?

Any idea please?