OS X and Python - what is your install strategy?

metaperl metaperl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 19:01:23 EDT 2006

I'm about to get a new OS X box on which I will rewrite a bunch of data
munging scripts from Perl to Python. I know that there are several port
services for OS X (fink, darwin ports, opendarwin). So I am not sure
whether to use their port of Python or whether to build from scratch or
use the Python image file. Also ActivePython is something of a choice
but for some reason not a front-running one for me. I tend to like
Gentoo-style compile from source over pre-bundled all-in-one solutions
like ActivePython.

I'm not going to do much other than maybe install Plone and do some XML
and CSV processing. Most everything I need is in the Python stdlib.
Maybe down the road some graphics and web stuff (I like Clever Harold
or Pylons for that... but I still ahve not examined the 900 other web
app options in Python :)