OT: p-gal website

ajaksu ajaksu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 16:43:34 EDT 2006

Sorry for the OT post...

Paolo Pantaleo wrote:
> 14 Aug 2006 10:16:37 -0700, ajaksu <ajaksu at gmail.com>:
> > The homepage (http://paolopan.freehostia.com/p-gal/ ) looks weird in my
> > SeaMonkey 1.0.4,  contents appear below GoogleAds instead of at the
> > right.
>
> Well... I designed the site for Firefox...
Don't :)
Even Firefox developers will tell you to avoid this. Develop for
standards compliant browsers (including Firefox) by testing against the
standards. Neither your HTML or CSS pass validation, both due to minor,
easy-to-fix issues.

>  anyway I used CSS float directives and no tables.
Good choice on CSS, but you do use (four) tables at that page, and one
of them has an error (missing <tr>).

>... I don't know if I made something wrong, or
> if it is a [not so unlikely] standard compliance problem. Well Firefox
> too has some problems with floats.
Before you can blame it on (some browser's) poor standards compliance,
your (X)HTML+CSS must be standards compliant. Then, you have to figure
out whether the browser showing what you intended is following
standards on that case ;)

> I copied the layout from http://www.topolinux.org/ - can you see this properly?
Yes, I  can see topolinux.org properly. If you look at topolinux.org's
source, they have the big GAds IFrame at the bottom. But what I found
really interesting is that they also have small IFrames at the right
bottom (Visitatore), and that those have this property:

 google_ad_format = "110x32_as_rimg";

So I imagine that the format you used for your left IFrame can be part
of the problem. BTW, it looks exactly the same (i.e., broken) with IE6.

>From http://tinyurl.com/qnpru :

[snip]
google_ad_format = "250x250_as";
google_ad_type = "text";
[snip]
//--></script>

Where...
.googlesquareleft
{
[snip]
    margin: 15px 10px 5px 10px;
    float: left; /*allows main content to wrap around google ad */
    /* note: after this we need to use the clear class to clear the
float at
    end of the container */
}

Distinti saluti,