List problem

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Aug 24 18:38:02 EDT 2006

kevndcks at aol.com wrote:

> For example i write the following code in the Python command line;

> Then enter this command, which will then return the following;
>
> ['One,Two,Three,Four']
>

> Now the problem, reading through the Python tutorial's, it describe's
> that list's can sliced, concatenated and so on etc
>
> So i write the following

> Then the error returned is that 'str' and 'list' could not be
> concatenated which is where it baffles me.

if you got that error, you clearly didn't type what you say you typed:

 >>> list = ['One,Two,Three,Four']
 >>> list
['One,Two,Three,Four']
 >>> list[1:] + ['Five']
['Five']

(note that the first list contains a single string; if you want to put
multiple strings in a list, you need to be more careful with where you
put the quotes.)

</F>