Compiling wxPython app for Windows; Single EXE

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Mon Aug 14 11:37:32 EDT 2006

Satya wrote:
> Vincent Delporte wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> - there's no way to build a single EXE, to make deployment easier (if
>> multiple files, I need to build an installer with eg. NSIS or
>> InnoSetup)?
>>

> I am using InnoSetup. The included example script (I believe in py2exe) is
> adequate for simple applications. I just modified a few lines and I had a
> neat Windows Installer.
>
> Satya

+1 on the Inno Installer solution.  I use it a lot and it is both
easy to use and flexible for distributing Python apps on Windows.
While just compressing into self-extracting .exe works for simple
apps, there always seem to be "other" things you want to do.  Things
like modifying .ini files, setting up shortcuts and icons on user's
desktop, start list, quickstart list.  Registering dlls, starting
services, ...   Inno Installer can help you with all these things.
The combination of py2exe and Inno Installer is hard to beat.

-Larry Bates