Extending the dict class

Tim N. van der Leeuw tnleeuw at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 09:36:15 EDT 2006

chosechu wrote:
> Duncan Booth wrote:
> > If the order of the argument names matters, then it seems to me that should
> > be handled by the SOAP library, not pushed onto the end user whoch should
> > just be calling the function with the named arguments in the most
> > convenient order.
> >
> > Shouldn't SOAPpy be able to get this information out of the WSDL?
>
> Yes, SOAPpy could extract this from the WSDL specs.
> SOAPpy could also find another way to pass call parameters, but I kinda
> like
> the named parameters (seems really Python-like). Microsoft could also
> build SOAP services that parse XML without making ordering mandatory
> where
> nobody said it was.

Are you sure that the order is not defined in the WSDL still? I don't
know WSDL, but in XML Schema for instance, order is defined when using
'xsd:sequence' yet many parsers don't care for receiving elements in a
different order from what's defined in the XSD which they're supposed
to validate against (working perhaps with the axiom 'be liberal in what
yo except, but strict in what you send'). Many people don't actually
realize that 'xsd:sequence' dictates the order of elements and use it
just for 'any order is good enough'.

Might be a similar case with the WSDL: Order is defined, but due to
mis-interpretation of the spec it's not realized / enforced by all /
some of the components.
Anyways, modifiying SOAPpy might not be a bad idea: submit your changes
to the project, and you can write on your CV that you have contributed
to open-source projects! ;-)

I do hope for you that you will find something better to do than
pushing template-instances down a socket-hole.

Cheers,

--Tim