do people really complain about significant whitespace?

Jim jhefferon at smcvt.edu
Mon Aug 7 20:17:45 EDT 2006

> He points out that if some code gets accidentally dedented, it is
> difficult for another programmer to determine which lines were supposed
> to be in the indented block.  I pointed out that if someone
> accidentally moves a curly brace, the same problem can occur.
> Anecdotally, I've never had either problem.

I have many times found that in moving a multi-screen block of code
from one place to another (where the indent is less or more) then I
have trouble re-indenting the code.  That is not to say that I don't in
the end prefer the significant whitespace, but I have had errors moving
code like:
  if ..
      try:
        ..
      except
        ..
  else ..
where it wound up (with the help of the emacs tab key) as
  if  ..
      try:
         ..
      except
         ..
      else ..
.  I attempt to be careful, but certainly it has happened to me.

Jim