What would be the best way to run python client in the background

Ravi Teja webraviteja at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 23:33:12 EDT 2006

gel wrote:
> Hi
> I have written a python client server app that keeps an eye on
> processes starting and ending on a client and makes decision on what to
> do based on information from the server end.  I want to run the client
> end of the app more or less invisibly (no console) on the XP clients
> when ever a users logs on.  What would be the best way to get this
> done?  A bit more info on the purpose of the app... it is to act as a
> licence server, where we have a limited number of licences for software
> and the software installed on all PCs.  The app will only allow a pre
> defined number of clients to run the software at any one time.

To run a python script without a console - use *.pyw extension.

But from what you stated you perhaps don't want to do this. Whether you
deploy this check as a service (through py2exe for example) or a
straight script, the users may simply kill it if they want to bypass
the check. Plus it is not common to use a seperate persistant process
to check for licenses. A better way is to incorporate the check
directly into the process of the software.