first book about python

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 16:18:05 EDT 2006

(double feature)

> From:	"Ray" <ray_use... at yahoo.com>
> Date:		Tues, Aug 1 2006 2:10 am
>
> Hi Wesley, which edition of Python will your latest Core Python cover?
> Will it cover 2.5?

ray: thanks for asking.  one of my goals for the book is to really cover
the *core* parts of the language, meaning that, like Python, i try to keep
it version independent.  if you write an app using 2.3, it should pretty much
run unmodified in 2.4, etc. in other words, regardless of which Python
release you use, the book will have relevant material.  it is not too often
that something about the core part of the language changes enough to
make a significant impact on the applications that people write.

with that said, i can tell you that the book has been updated to 2.5, as
well as includes some features already set for 2.6 and 2.7, and also
presumably 3.0.  in the book, we've placed markers or logos that *tag*
when an important feature was added to Python, so if you're still using
2.4 say, you can skip over stuff from newer versions, or at least read
about them so that you know what's possible if you migrate.

so far, the book has been pretty well received after speaking with some
(OSCON) conference attendees who saw the rough draft last week at
the convention bookstore.

hope this helps!
-wesley

> From:	John Salerno <johnj... at NOSPAMgmail.com>
> Date:		Tues, Aug 1 2006 6:48 am
>
> wesley chun wrote:
>> if you want a large case study (tons of
>> examples, i.e., everything *plus* the kitchen sink), look for Lutz'
>> massive Programming Python.
>
> which is also coming out in a new edition soon.

i believe that mark's book will be released around the same time
as Aahz' Python for Dummies (another possible first book for
newbies), and Core Python will come around several weeks later
-- i know is that we are hitting the printers sometime this week,
followed by the binding, distribution, shipping, etc.

once the publisher or amazon has some sample text, i'll be glad
to share it with you.  there is a sample chapter from the 1st ed at
the book's website (link below) if you want to get a taste of my
writing style -- that hasn't changed between editions.  ;-)

cheers,
-- wesley
    http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com