CGI script running not completely in HTML

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Aug 17 16:34:45 EDT 2006

Yong Wang wrote:
> Hi, All:
>     I have written a python CGI script to run in html web page. When I access to
> the html page, it only runs part of the script, then abort because the late part of
> the script is involved in database access, it is slow. I wonder whether there is
> a way to control html running speed so that it can wait for CGI script to complete
> execution, then write the results to html page ?
>     Thanks a lot .
>
>       Yong

Most servers impose some sort of CPU limit on CGI processes (though
typically this defaults to a value of 30 seconds or more). If you really
are going past your server's default(?) limit you really need to either
tweak the limit up on the server (at least for that script) or
reconsider whether the application is suitable for CGI in the first place.

What kind of "slow" are we talking about here? A minute? Ten minutes?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119