merits of Lisp vs Python

Eric Pederson eric.pederson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 17:10:59 EST 2006

> > "No programmer who learned Lisp ever gave up before he learned Lisp."That would be the obvious retort, but my observation was empirical, so I
> am afraid you need numbers, not word games.
>
> You seem awfully hostile, by the way. Won't that make it harder to
> conduct an intelligent exchange of value to lurkers?
>
> > I wonder, how many people gave up trying to learn Lisp because the
> > language was too hard for them to read? Anyone like to bet that the number
> > was more than zero?Sorry, no one ever discovered Lisp, decided it would be great for
> programming, started learning it and then gave up because they could not
> handle the syntax.

Uh.  Clearly no one would be dumb enough to admit it in front of the
entire usenet world, right?

- Mr. NoOne

P.S.  I am still going to get back to it when I get some time, really.
LISP seems intriguing and superior, almost a magical Rubik's cube
waiting for me.  I just stumbled across Python in the meantime and code
started flowing - I got distracted.  I have CL (& Scheme) on all my
machines awaiting my focus.... I'll join the flock any day now.  :-)
I've just been busy.  There is a cost to learning and I've not had the
spare change to date.

But New Years resolutions need to be made: I could get up a couple
hours early and spend some quality time with CL, do a daily hour jog,
and eat a really heathly breakfast.  Writing myself a note on this.

P.P.S.  Undoubtedly not learning a syntax either means not enough time
was put in or the student lacked proper intelligence.  This will always
bias the significance of learning syntax as a factor in choice of
language to be under reported. cheers