merits of Lisp vs Python

JShrager at gmail.com JShrager at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 16:28:00 EST 2006

Okay, since everyone ignored the FAQ, I guess I can too...

Mark Tarver wrote:
> How do you compare Python to Lisp?  What specific advantages do you
> think that one has over the other?

(Common) Lisp is the only industrial strength language with both pure
compositionality and a real compiler. What Python has is stupid slogans
("It fits your brain." "Only one way to do things.") and an infinite
community of flies that, for some inexplicable reason, believe these
stupid slogns. These flies are, however, quite useful because they
produce infinite numbers of random libraries, some of which end up
being useful. But consider: Tcl replaced Csh, Perl replaced Tcl, Python
is rapidly replacing Perl, and Ruby is simultaneously and even more
rapidly replacing Python. Each is closer to Lisp than the last; the
world is returning to Lisp and is dragging the flies with it.
Eventually the flies will descend upon Lisp itself and will bring with
them their infinite number of random libraries, and then things will be
where they should have been 20 years ago, but got sidetracked by Tcl
and other line noise.