merits of Lisp vs Python

Timofei Shatrov grue at mail.ru
Wed Dec 13 03:23:41 EST 2006

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:07:01 +1300, greg <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>Robert Uhl wrote:
>
>> o Symbols
>>
>> In Lisp, a symbol is essentially a hashed string;
>
>Are you aware that strings can be interned in Python?
>Furthermore, any string literal in the source that
>is a syntactically valid identifier is automatically
>interned, and you can intern any string explicitly
>if you need. This gives you exactly the same
>capabilities as symbols in Lisp.

Are you aware that you hardly know any Lisp yet make such bold and unfounded
claims? Unless interning a string somehow gives it a property list, slot value
and function value it doesn't give you the same capabilities.

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless              ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... |  ue     il   |
|But we can take them on!                               |     @ma      |
|                       (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip)    |______________|