merits of Lisp vs Python

Bill Atkins atkinw at rpi.edu
Mon Dec 11 09:31:39 EST 2006

greg <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> writes:

> When moving a set of statements in Python, you
> are usually selecting a set of complete lines,
> cutting them out and then pasting them in
> between two other lines somewhere else.

You're missing Ken's point, which is that in Lisp an s-expression
represents a single concept - I can cut out the second form of an IF
and know that I'm cutting the entire test-form.  I don't have to
choose the correct "set of complete lines" to correctly move code
around.

> Having edited both Lisp and Python code fairly
> extensively, I can't say that I find editing
> Python code to be any more difficult or error
> prone.

How extensively?

> On the plus side, Python makes less demands on the
> capabilities of the editor. All you really need
> is block-shifting commands. Bracket matching is
> handy for expressions but not vital, and you
> certainly don't need bracket-based auto-indenting.

Oh, please.  So we should restrict the power of the languages we
choose just to make sure that our code can be edited in Notepad?