merits of Lisp vs Python

Wade Humeniuk whumeniu+anti+spam at telus.net
Sat Dec 9 12:13:53 EST 2006

tmh wrote:
> This is from the perspective of an aerospace engineer who passed
> through python several years ago on the way to lisp. Futhermore, this
> is a 2 glass of wine response.

<snip>

Thanks for the comments.  I think it is great that you took a "harder
and less travelled way".  It may be that some people get to a point
where they are either tired or think they know everything. Or.. their
brains just harden up and they become old dogs.

There seems to be a recurring theme to many of the posts in this thread
about syntax and readability.  Some of it is "If I can not instantly
read and understand what the code is doing then something is wrong
with it".  As if holding oneself as the standard of what is good and
correct is the only way.  If you see something and it
is not readily apparent what it is, then that is a sign than something
interesting may be going on.  I got into Lisp because when I
looked at it, I did not understand.  I did not think WTF! but thought
that something was  going on and maybe I was cheating myself if I
brushed it aside.

There is also some disdain expressed about badly written programs.
Why?  They may be that way for some very good reasons, it is folly
to think that programs have to be simple, obvious and elegant.  I find
interesting that a programmer got out their comfort zone and attempted
something.  Its better than the ones with the big egos who play it safe
so they do not appear to be a fool.

Wade