pwinauto to remote automate a GUI ?

Mark mark.m.mcmahon at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 14:04:50 EST 2006

Hi,

Tim Golden wrote:
> [baitelli]
>
> | pywinauto is a set of python modules to automate the
> | Microsoft Windows GUI.
> | With the lines below we start and atomates the apllication Notepad:
> |
> | from pywinauto import application
> | app = application.Application()
> | app.start('C:\Notepad.exe')
> |  ... pywinauto automation code
> |
> | Question: Is it possible to start and automate a remote GUI
> | using Python?
>
> One way might be to have something like
> Pyro (http://pyro.sf.net) running on the
> remote machine linked to a proxy on the local
> machine.
>
> TJG

People have been doing this before...
if you do a search for pywinauto on google code search the 2nd link
will be...
http://www.google.com/codesearch?hl=en&q=+pywinauto+show:SFnFI9XuSEk:FSZQBcwvc98:VkWgdDuEj0U&sa=N&cd=2&ct=rc&cs_p=http://codespeak.net/download/pypy/pypy-0.9.0.tar.gz&cs_f=pypy-0.9.0/py/documentation/talk/pytest-overview.txt#a0

It seems that integration wth PyTest might allow you to do what you
want.

I think it works something like:
 - You have python installed on the test machine
 - It is listening on a port?
 - You send over code that you want executed - and you get the data
returned by the code.

But other then that - I don't really know - I am no python Guru
(especially not networking!)

Glad that you are looking at pywinauto though :-)
  Mark