SOAP Server with WSDL?

gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Dec 7 17:32:44 EST 2006

On 7 dic, 18:52, tobiah <s... at tobiah.org> wrote:

> Actually, do I have to make a WSDL?  Do people hand write these, or
> are there tools?  I don't really need to publish an interface.  I just
> want some in house apps to communicate.
>
> I can't figure out if I want SOAP, or CORBA, or would it just be
> easier if I just starting opening sockets and firing data around
> directly.  Ideally, I'd like to share complex objects.  That's why
> I thought that I needed one of the above standards.

A few alternatives:

xml-rpc
Pros: multiplatform, multilanguage, standard, available in python std
lib, very simple to use
Cons: simple function calls only, limited argument types, no objects as
argument

Pyro <http://pyro.sourceforge.net/>
Pros: object based, multiplatform, full python language support
(argument list, keyword arguments...)
Cons: only Python supported, non standard

CORBA is a big beast and if you don't actually need it, don't use it...

--
Gabriel Genellina