[Edu-sig] automatically grading small programming assignments

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 13:41:34 EST 2006

Hello Brian,

I do not teach (much to my regrets) but I have been thinking about what you
describe.
See below.

On 12/14/06, Brian Blais < bblais at bryant.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a couple of classes where I teach introductory programming using
> Python.  What
> I would love to have is for the students to go through a lot of very small
> programs,
> to learn the basic programming structure.  Things like, return the maximum
> in a list,
> making lists with certain patterns, very simple string parsing,
> etc.  Unfortunately,
> it takes a lot of time to grade such things by hand, so I would like to
> automate it
> as much as possible.

I envision a number of possible solutions.  In one solution, I provide a
> function
> template with a docstring, and they have to fill it in to past a
> doctest.  Is there a
> good (and safe) way to do that online?  Something like having a student
> post code,
> and the doctest returns.  I'd love to allow them to submit until they get
> it, logging
> each attempt.

I may have a partial solution.  I (co-)wrote a program called Crunchy
(crunchy.sf.net)
which, among other features, allow automated correction of code that has to
satisfy a given docstring. As it stands, it only allows self-evaluation i.e.
there's no login required nor is the solution forwarded to someone else.
(This has been requested by others and may, eventually, be incorporated in
Crunchy.)  So, as a tool for learning, it's working; the grading component
is simply not there.  However, the code is open-source and you could adopt
it to your needs ;-)

André

Or perhaps there is a better way to do this sort of thing.  How do others