Tkinter button doesn't appear in OS X

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Tue Dec 12 09:17:56 EST 2006

crystalattice wrote:
> Kevin Walzer wrote:
>> What version of Tk are you running? I've seen this bug on old versions
>> of Tk (i.e. 8.4.7) but not recently.
>>
>> --
>> Kevin Walzer
>> Code by Kevin
>> http://www.codebykevin.com
>
> I'm using Python 2.4.2, which I believe is the default version for OS
> X.  How do I check the Tk version?  Can I force my programs to use a
> different version of Python, e.g. if I installed Python 2.5?

When you run your program on OS X, there should be a menu item next to
the Apple menu that says "about Tcl/Tk," which you access from the
"Python" menu item. That will give you the version number.

Python 2.3.5 and Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 ship with OS X 10.4. Python 2.4.2 is a
separate installation, but probably accesses the system Tcl/Tk unless
you have installed a more recent version. Using the official Mac build
of Python 2.5 will update your Python, but not Tcl/Tk--you'll need to
install something more recent.

You can install ActiveTcl for a "batteries-included" distro of
Tcl/Tk--it has the latest and greatest of everything. Or, you can
install a slightly older (8.4.13) version of Tcl/Tk at
http://tk-components.sourceforge.net. (This is a version of Tcl/Tk Aqua
that I use in my own programs and I made the build available for others
to use.)

Hope that helps,
Kevin

--