merits of Lisp vs Python

JShrager at gmail.com JShrager at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 17:31:35 EST 2006

> So, how would I do that? For Python, that was simple. I learned the
> basics, then moved to the libraries, learning as I went.

We've already all agreed that Python has a much larger set of standard
libraries than Lisp. You're right; This is an advantage that we all
recognize, and would love to have. We've also all agreed (I think) that
there's nothing in principle stopping Lisp from having these except
popularity, and that there is no good reason for this...except not
already having lots of libraries. Unfortunately, this is a bad bug, and
we (the lisp community) is hung on it. So if you guys would just fix
your language by adding homogeneous syntax and all that it brings with
it (macros, compilers, etc) we'd be happy to use your version of Lisp,
and all its great libraries, instead of ours! :-)