tuple.index()

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 14 14:01:51 EST 2006

In article <1166122540.017590.64460 at 16g2000cwy.googlegroups.com>,
"Carl Banks" <pavlovevidence at gmail.com> writes:

|> > It isn't a misplaced fear, but the extra protection
|> > provided by doing that only for tuples is like locking one door out of
|> > ten to deter burglars - good practice, if there is no downside, but not
|> > worth putting much effort into.
|>
|> Maybe "inconsistent" fear is a better word.  It's like when people are
|> deathly afraid to get on an airplane, but think nothing of riding in a
|> car without a seatbelt.

I agree with that.  I consider the difficulty of adding a reliable
immutable attribute in most languages to be a serious piece of
misdesign, but there isn't a huge amount of point unless it is done
properly.  Unreliable safety devices are as likely to increase
errors as reduce them, at least in the hands of the naive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.