merits of Lisp vs Python

Slawomir Nowaczyk slawomir.nowaczyk.847 at student.lu.se
Wed Dec 13 04:33:23 EST 2006

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 02:41:29 -0500
Raffael Cavallaro <raffaelcavallaro at pas-d'espam-s'il-vous-plait-mac.com> wrote:

#> On 2006-12-12 19:18:10 -0500, "George Sakkis" <george.sakkis at gmail.com> said:
#>
#> > If you mistakenly select an extra parenthesis or omit one, it's
#> > the same thing.
#>
#> Because you can't mistakenly select an extra paren or omit one in a
#> lisp-aware editor.

Sure I can! I think you misunderstood what George said.

(unless (eq 1 2) (if (eql 2 3) (x)) (y))

How is the editor supposed to know whether I want to cut/paste the
s-expression starting with "if" or the one with "eql"?

#> Whether its a commercial lisp IDE or emacs, you don't manually select
#> s-expressions. You put your cursor/point at one paren and you tell
#> the editor - with a keystroke or a mouse click - to find the matching
#> paren and select everything contained between the two.

Oh, you mean you have never seen a Python environment which could mark
the current block of code?

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense.