merits of Lisp vs Python

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 22:09:23 EST 2006

Markus Triska wrote:
> Ken Tilton <kentilton at gmail.com> writes:
>

>>I think all-rules-all-the-time Prolog is the poster boy for paradigm
>>slavery.  (I did try for a famous two months to use Prolog as a
>>general-purpose programming language.)
>

> Don't expect to learn Prolog properly in so little time.

Lawdy, no, but I had all those Art of Prolog and Craft of Prolog and a
couple other books and I was staring at pages of intense code just
trying to do basic stuff. I had not learned prolog, but I could see the
masters writing hairy code to basic stuff so I concluded...run away! run
away! :)

I think the other thing that got me was cuts, which I translated as "did
we say unification all the time? sorry..." :)

> To your
> previous question whether the ~180 lines of Lisp code in some online
> book constitute an "industrial strength" Prolog: only if the following
> ~180 lines of Prolog code implement an "industrial strength" Lisp.

<snip lisp-in-Prolog>

Way cool.

ken

--
Algebra: http://www.tilton-technology.com/LispNycAlgebra1.htm

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five
years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally
won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd