Rethinking the Python tutorial

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Mon Feb 13 13:06:22 EST 2006

Steve Holden wrote:
> Magnus Lycka wrote:
> As with all such content, the first thing you will need is a band of
> volunteers dedicated to keeping the content up to date, both proactively
> and in response to reader comments.

That's why I suggested these already written tutorials. Both
authors have shown that they can make an effort, and there are
other people who have helped with contributions such as
translations. Hopefully, giving these texts a more official
status will stimulate them further and make more people
interested, but I guess it could also go the other way, if it
isn't handled well.

> What we are talking about here is a Python Language Users' Guide.

Agreed.

> Google are very active supporters of Python already, though they don't
> make a big song and dance about it. You might notice, for example, that
> they are a Platinum Sponsor at PyCon this year, as well as being a
> sponsor member of the PSF. The Summer of Code also benefited Python in
> several ways.

I didn't notice the PyCon sponsorship. Maybe that's something for
the EuroPython arrangers to think about... After all, EuroPython 2006
will be at CERN, and that's where the whole web thingie started... :)

> There are older-established companies with more Python programmers who
> have made hardly any community contribution - the "takers" of the open
> source world. I wouldn't like Google to think that the Python community
> isn't recognizing their support.

It has improved lately, and I agree that others could chip in as well.

> You might also like to ask Alex what he'd feel about losing the
> "Nutshell" revenue stream!

Well, I suggested they'd pay him for it. Perhaps a decent sized sack
of money now is as good as that long term stream... It was just a wild
idea though. You know, they don't usually come true, but who knows?
Suggesting it might increase the chances. It would certainly be a
boost for Python to have such excellent documentation on the web. It
would probably make it easier for Google (and you other big corps!)
to find good Python programmers in the future.