Python vs C for a mail server

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sat Feb 4 18:39:53 EST 2006

"Randall Parker" <techiepundit at futurepundit.com> writes:
[...]
> Also, a lot of C++'s flaws flow from the fact that it is old and grew
> in lots of increments.

That was a deliberate decision on the part of C++'s designers!-)

I guess the same is true of Python in some respects: it's still
incrementally changing (more than C++, I guess), and isn't all that
much younger than C++ (around 15 and 23 years old respectively).

> In my experience the overhead of explicitly deleting objects in C/C++
> is not the big burden that some argue here is the biggest reason to use
> Python instead of C++.

Should we be entirely surprised that from somebody from a engineering
/ numerical analysis background has that experience?  Fortran 77
didn't even *have* a standard way to do dynamic memory allocation, did
it?  I certainly do think garbage collection is useful in that
context, though...

John