decorator question

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Sun Jan 8 17:20:58 EST 2006

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 23:26:28 +0100, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sch=FCle_Daniel?= <uval at rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
[...]
>the code above works fine
>but I am wondering wheather it's possible to
>write something like this

>...     def wrapper(*a,**kw):
>...             logfile.write("started at %s" % time.ctime())
>...             t0 = time.time()
>...             f(*a, **kw)
>...             t1 = time.time()
>...             logfile.write("ended at %s" % time.ctime())
>...             logfile.write("diff = %f %s" % (t1-t0, "sec"))
>...     return wrapper

>... def loops(a,b,c):
>...     sum = 0
>...     for i in range(a):
>...             for j in range(b):
>...                     for k in range(c):
>...                             sum += 1
>
>(1) fails to compile
>is it possible to pass parameters to a decorator function?

Yes, but then the function must return the same kind of thing
a bare decorator-function name would have, which is a function
able to take a single argument of a function and return a function.

So your decorator won't take f as an argument, just the optional logfile,
and it will return a function that does the wrapping like the original decorator.

 >>> import sys, time
 >>> def timelogger(logfile=sys.stdout):
 ...    def deco(f):
 ...        def wrapper(*a,**kw):
 ...                logfile.write("started at %s\n" % time.ctime())
 ...                t0 = time.time()
 ...                f(*a, **kw)
 ...                t1 = time.time()
 ...                logfile.write("ended at %s\n" % time.ctime())
 ...                logfile.write("diff = %f %s\n" % (t1-t0, "sec"))
 ...        return wrapper
 ...    return deco
 >>> @timelogger() # stdout
 ... def foo(): pass