boost.python on Debian

Joe bloggs me at somewhere.com
Mon Jan 16 07:44:24 EST 2006

Can anyone tell me how to get boost.python to work on Debian Sarge?
When I try to build the tutorial hello world example bjam reports:

/usr/share/doc/libboost-doc/examples/libs/python/example/boost-build.jam
attempted to load the build system by invoking

        'boost-build ../../../tools/build/v1 ;'

but we were unable to find "bootstrap.jam" in the specified directory or
in BOOST_BUILD_PATH (searching
/usr/share/doc/libboost-doc/examples/libs/python/example/../../../tools/build/v1,
/usr/share/boost-build).

I have looked for 'bootstrap.jam' but it doesn't exist on my system.
I suppose that the Debian boost package doesn't have the same structure as
the official one, and is missing some files.
Can anyone tell me how to fix this?