New Python.org website ?

Markus Wankus markus_REMOVEwankusALL_CAPS at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 18 09:10:14 EST 2006

Well I think the new site is definitely a step in the right direction.
The old site is definitely "utilitarian" and is quite functional, but
not "sexy".  And I think the whole point is to (hopefully) have a good
first impression of the language and community by "impressing" (if you
will) new users with a cool website.

So, while I agree that the beta site does have a definite "nineties
corporate" feel to it, I think it is better than the old site and would
like to throw some kudos to whoever spent the time on it.  I'm sure it
wasn't a small job.

At any rate, opinions will always differ.  You are always going to get
the people who want a cool flash-based animated site with 3D stereo
surround sound, and the other end of the spectrum where you will be
flamed if you do anything more than hand-code the html, on Unix machines
only, using Vim or Emacs, ensuring it has a gray or neutral beige
background, *and* uses the default font giving that classic 1981
"university professor who refuses to use anything except Netscape
Navigator" feel.

I use Eclipse a lot in my day-job and there are debates like this all
the time whenever a change is made in the UI, but usually sanity (and
quite nice-looking software, BTW) are the result.  FWIW - they have just
re-done the L&F of their website as well.  I must admit I like it
(eclipse.org), but others do not - I'm sure we'll hear from them shortly
- ;-).  To each his own.

I think it would definitely be cool to use a Python-based web app for
the site.  Plone is alright, but has a definite Plone approach that can
be hard to shoe-horn your stuff into (although I think these guys have
done an *awesome* job on their site: http://www.schooltool.org/).  Zope
is flexible but a beast to learn.  And, well...there are just so many
others. ;o)  I'm still looking, myself...

Markus.