Calling GPL code from a Python application

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Jan 4 17:27:32 EST 2006

Ernst Noch <enoch at gmx.net> writes:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
>> In my case, I get paid for building custom applications. If I use
>> GPL'ed software, I'm required to give my client the software under the
>> GPL (or, as you point out, a GPL-compatible license). I never bother -
>> I hand them a tarball and installation instructions and they install
>> it on their systems, or I install the stuff on their systems for them,
>> and it never goes anywhere else. I believe that's in compliance with
>> the GPL, because they get all the rights that the GPL wants them to
>> have.
> Yeah, and you are in absolute compliance with what the FSF intends the
> GPL to be:
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

For the record, I'm not selling them software. I'm selling them my
time. I'll use whatever software will help solve the problem, and have
been known to bundle commercial applications. I prefer open source
because having the source makes it easier to bend to my uses. I prefer
BSD-like licenses to the GPL because that places fewer restrictions
on what I can do with the resulting product.

   <mike