Python on an embedded platform

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Thu Jan 19 16:02:29 EST 2006

Derek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking to port Python to an embedded platform (an ARM7 device with
> fairly limited memory, capable of running an RTOS, but not an OS, such as
> Linux). I came across DePython from a few years ago, but it seems to have
> died a death.
>
> Does anybody have advice? I am looking for any tricks, features I can
> disable, etc so I can get the python core to be a small as possible (<100k
> would be good).
>
> Thanks
> --
> Derek

Have you thought about using a JVM as the Python runtime? AFAIK the
PyPy team already uses a restricted subset of Python ( called RPython )
to translate type annotated RPython flowgraphs to several backends
including Java. Therefore it seems not necessary to write a new Jython
compiler or CPython runtime. JVMs are all around also for ARM
processors.

Kay