New Python.org website ?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jan 19 13:20:37 EST 2006

A.M. Kuchling wrote:

> > If I see this correctly, Fredrik would volonteer to (help) implement
> > something that imports the current python.org content into a Wiki.
>
> First question I have: which wiki?  Does this go into the existing
> Python wiki, or into a fresh new wiki that contains *only*
> Python.org-destined content?

I'd prefer a separate wiki (at least initially).  Do we have enough
admin resources to set up an 1.5 instance ?

> Second question: how do we maintain the sidebar links in a wiki?
> (i.e. the list of links in the blue sidebar on the existing
> www.python.org).  These links vary from directory to directory on the
> site.  In the file-based system, there's a file in every directory
> that lists the links, and an individual .ht file can supply its own
> list of links that's added in on top of the directory-wide links.  One
> minor refinement: the link to the current page is greyed out in the
> sidebar.

The renderer/template engine can deal with that.

> Are there existing Wiki-based sites that do this sort of sidebar
> thing?

Probably; you can do a lot of stuff with plugins.  But I'm not sure
that's really needed here; simply point to relevant sidebar pages
from a site map page, and let the renderer take care of the rest.

> > MoinMoin 1.5 sounds perfect for the wiki. It supports ReST if we want
> > that, and now also a JavaScript-GUI based WYSIWYG editor.
>
> Ah... sounds like it's time to upgrade the wiki software on python.org.

That would also be nice, of course.

</F>