OT: excellent book on information theory

Paul Rubin http
Tue Jan 17 21:06:12 EST 2006

Terry Hancock <hancock at anansispaceworks.com> writes:
> > > Very interesting.  And rather sad that editors think the
> > > average Amermican reader too dim-witted to figure out
> > > (in context, even) that a "car park" is a "parking lot"
> > > and a "dustbin" is a "trash can."
> The real reason is that it was an expensively promoted
> book. Customizing it for an American audience was a way to
> suck money out of that flow into the pockets of the
> American publisher. In order to justify that expense, they
> have to have something to show for their efforts.

I wouldn't have figured out that a "car park" was a parking lot.  I
might have thought it was a park where you go to look at scenery from
inside your car.  Sort of a cross between a normal park and a drive-in
movie.