Calling GPL code from a Python application

Michel Sanner sanner at scripps.edu
Tue Jan 3 19:36:31 EST 2006

Hello,

One of the greatest feature of Python in my opinion is the way the
interpreter can be used to integrate a wide variety of
software packages by dynamically linking them.  This approach has been
extremely successful for us so far but now I run
into a license nightmare.

Some the libraries we wrapped using SWIG are under GPL but the
applications we are distributing are not (mainly because
we are asked by funding agencies to keep track of users and hence ask
people to download the source from our site).

A google search about GPL and dynamic linking came up with an equal
number of pages saying that dynamic linking of GPL
code into non GPL applications is allowed as it is the end user who
cretes the derived work, as pages saying the opposite !
So does anyone know what to do about this ?

The second question I would like to get an answer for is whether doing
an "os.system('GPLapp')" violates GPL if I ship
my Python code that does the os.system call and the GPLapp program ?

Thanks for any input.

Please reply to sanner at scripps.edu

  /    Michel F. Sanner Ph.D.            The Scripps Research Institute
o      Associate Professor               Department of Molecular Biology
  \                                      10550 North Torrey Pines Road
   o   Tel. (858) 784-2341               La Jolla, CA 92037
  /    Fax. (858) 784-2860
o     sanner at scripps.edu                 http://www.scripps.edu/~sanner