Is 'everything' a refrence or isn't it?

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Jan 7 01:29:46 EST 2006

Terry Hancock <hancock at anansispaceworks.com> writes:
> As far as I am concerned "call by object" which is what you
> *did* propose implies "call by value" to anyone who is just
> learning the language, and that is the audience we're
> talking about.

>From what I can tell, Liskov proposed *three* different names for
passing references to objects: call-by-sharing, call-by-object, and
call-by-object-reference.

Call by object is the worst choice among the three, because "object"
has such a vague meaning, so you never know what implications someone
will come away with. Of the other two, I like call by object
reference, because it's clear you're passing a reference to an object,
and it doesn't really matter what an object is in this case.

    <mike