Decoupling the version of the file from the name of the module.

Paul Rubin http
Sat Jan 28 17:10:33 EST 2006

bobueland at yahoo.com writes:
> Basically I want to decouple the version of my file from the name of
> the module.
>
> Is there a *simple* way out of this dilemma.

Really, you should use a source control system.  That's a program that
tracks the different versions of the files in your program.  When one
of your files reaches a state of stability, you "check it in" to a
source repository which then remembers that version.  You then go on
editing the file in place.  Later, you can restore the old version
from the repository if you need to.

Source control is the only sane way to do what you're trying to do.
Messing around with renaming files to save old versions, as you're
doing, only works for very small, short-lived projects.  That scheme
will drive you crazy in short order.

SubVersion (http://subversion.tigris.org) is a popular source control
system, maybe not the best, but compatible with some older widely used
ones.  I'd personally choose this one because I have some experience
with it, but it's not ideal.  Even if you don't choose to use it, you
might read its online docs, to get a sense of what kinds of problems
these programs try to solve.

There's a newer one called Codeville, written in Python, that I
haven't tried.  There are numerous others I won't bother trying to
list.  Which one is best is the topic of religious wars, like "the
best editor" or "the best language".  Just pick one that you like and
stick with it.