New Python.org website ?

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 18 16:26:14 EST 2006

Tim Parkin schreef:
> Shalabh Chaturvedi wrote:
>> Hm. Am I the only one not particularly impressed? Sure the front page is
>> 'slick' but a few clicks reveal a fairly shallow facade of marketing
>> material, with no real content. In general gives the impression of
>> 'phony' company trying to make a big impression. Most good non-tech
>> managers are very wary of such organizations/companies.
> Well apart from the front page and a couple of pages providing content
> specific to different types of usersm the whole site is the same as it
> was before. Do you have a problem with marketing python or with the
> content of the python site? Could you expand on why you think the beta
> site looks 'phony'?

I feel more or less the same, but I can't explain why. Maybe I can give
some examples of website that I think look good and bad.

Good:

. http://www.flickr.com if you're logged in to the site (except for the
ad-like blocks in the left column)
. http://www.mozilla.org
. wikipedia
. http://www.vmware.com/
. http://www.google.com
. gmail

'Phony':

. http://www.flickr.com if you're not logged in
. http://www.mysql.com
. http://www.webdiv.be/ (site where insurance companies etc. can order
license plates for their customers; it's a strange mix between
commercial and governmental)
. http://www.yahoo.com/
. hotmail
. http://www.portofantwerp.be/asp/start_pagina.asp
. http://www.conocophillips.com/index.htm and many other large companies

In short, I think I don't judge a site solely on it's looks, but more
based on how much it makes me feel that it's going to deliver me the
content that I'm looking for. From experience (I guess) I associate the
large-company-look with hard-to-find-information.

Roel Schroeven