The Python cross? Was New Python.org website

Wed Jan 18 11:08:35 EST 2006

"Obaid R." <yhdanid at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1137553529.299812.129090 at g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Bugs wrote:
> > I thought I read here that a new website design was in the works for
> > python.org in time for the new year?  Is that still true and of so,
> > anyone know what is it's status?
> > Thanks!
>

> I googled around and found no background on how the new Python logo
> came to be selected. Does any one know why or how the logo shown in the
> upper left corner of the beta.python.org site was choosen? Which other
> logos were rejected? Is there a particular reason why it is shaped like
> a cross?
>
> Thanks

Looks like a plus sign to me, evoking the idea of "incremental improvement".
A cross (as in Christian symbol) really has an elongated leg to the bottom.
But it most closely resembles two snakes (see the little eyes
at the top and bottom?), presumably pythons.

Personally, I like the stylized snakes, and the symmetry of the logo, a big
improvement over the cartooney cutesy snakes we've seen in the past.

-- Paul