Python vs C for a mail server

Sat Jan 28 02:03:56 EST 2006

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:43:48 -0800, abhinav wrote:

> Hello guys,
> I am a novice in python.I have to implement a full fledged mail server

Because that's just what the world needs, yet another mail server.

Why don't you use an existing mail server?

> .But i am not able to choose the language.Should i go for C(socket API)
> or python for this project?

If you aren't able to choose the language, what does it matter what we
say? Somebody else will choose.

> What are the advantages of one over the
> other in implementing this server.

C can be faster.

> which language will be easier?

Python is easier to read, and write, and debug, and you will have fewer
hard-to-debug memory issues.

> What are the performance issues?

You will spend hundreds of man-hours re-inventing the wheel.

> In what language are mail servers generally written?

Google is your friend. The first four mail servers listed are, in order:

sendmail
postfix
Microsoft Exchange
qmail

Of the four, source code is available free of charge for three of them.
Can you guess which is the odd man out? :-)

--
Steven.