New Python.org website ?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Jan 22 17:01:22 EST 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> for the curious, I've found a few more spare 15-minute slots, and a more
> extensive (but still rough) translation is available here:
>
>     http://effbot.org/pydotorg/

I've also been messing around with different content sources, and the
results can be viewed here:

http://www.boddie.org.uk/python/python-site/index.html

The infrastructure isn't that impressive: I just take some RSS feeds
and XBEL bookmarks files, add some results from parsing the
PythonEvents page on the Wiki, put them into an XML document, and then
render the different pages using some XSLT-based templates. Not exactly
a top-end portal solution, but does it have to be?

Of course, the above works for simple portal-like overview pages, but
for the real textual content you'd have to make use of more
sophisticated sources than feeds and bookmarks. Arguably, organising,
retrieving and presenting such content is the hard part of a project
like this, and it would be interesting to see how the Wiki could be
used for such purposes whilst maintaining a certain level of coherency
lacking in parts of the current site (try finding definitive copyright
and licence information) and in the Wiki itself (try finding anything
very quickly without doing a search).

Paul

P.S. The events make use of the hCalendar microformat, meaning that you
can export them from the page given the appropriate tools.