New Python.org website ?

Tim Parkin tim at pollenation.net
Wed Jan 18 08:54:31 EST 2006

Tim Golden wrote:

>[Shalabh Chaturvedi]
>
>| Hm. Am I the only one not particularly impressed? Sure the
>| front page is
>| 'slick' but a few clicks reveal a fairly shallow facade of marketing
>| material, with no real content. In general gives the impression of
>| 'phony' company trying to make a big impression. Most good non-tech
>| managers are very wary of such organizations/companies.
>
>[... snip similar stuff highlighting the relative
>lightweightness of the content ...]
>
>Ummm. I might have missed the point, and certainly what I'm about
>to say is based on no more than my reading between the lines of
>Steve's original announcement, but... I see the current beta
>site as a layout/display/look-and-feel beta, *not* a content
>beta, at least no more than is absolutely necessary to support
>the look-and-feel.

Hi Tim,

Yep, the most effort has gone into deciding what level of change is
really necessary . Which is not a lot. The navigation has been
rearranged very slightly so that there is a consistent left hand
navigation throughout the site. The layout of the site has been changed
from table based to css based. The templates should be valid xhtml. etc.

As I've mentioned, new content needs writing and some content needs
updating but the biggest job is migrating the old content over. We'd
also like to get content from the wiki into the website (so it can be
mirrored).

>Now I might be wrong, in which case your comments are pretty
>much justified. But it looks to me as though most of the
>content was banged in a year or so ago (or more, maybe) to
>give a this-kind-of-blurb feel, some or all of which would
>be replaced with current and agreed blurb before the thing
>went live.

Most of the content that is currently on beta.python.org was added in
the last three months. Most of the top level content is about 9 months old.

>You might argue that the beta shouldn't have been unveiled
>without suitable text etc. But I would say: well done to
>the people who've made the effort and put the beta
>together. It's been mentioned that the whole thing is
>downloadable and open to contributions, so maybe that's
>the way forward for you: make or implement your suggestions
>and send them back to the maintainers.

If we never put it up as a beta, I would have had to finish the whole
job on my own (which is a bit tough whilst trying to run my own company,
although the psf have helped out in this).

I'm looking forward to getting the current content over and then helping
contribute to the content more...

Thanks for the comments..

Tim