How can I make a dictionary that marks itself when it's modified?

garabik-news-2005-05 at kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk garabik-news-2005-05 at kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
Thu Jan 12 12:20:39 EST 2006

sandravandale at yahoo.com wrote:
> It's important that I can read the contents of the dict without
> flagging it as modified, but I want it to set the flag the moment I add
> a new element or alter an existing one (the values in the dict are
> mutable), this is what makes it difficult. Because the values are
> mutable I don't think you can tell the difference between a read and a
> write without making some sort of wrapper around them.
>
> Still, I'd love to hear how you guys would do it.

if the dictionary is small and speed not important, you can wrap it
in a class catching __getitem__ and __setitem__ and testing
if repr(self) changes.

| Radovan Garabík http://kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk/~garabik/ |
| __..--^^^--..__    garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk     |