Spelling mistakes!

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sat Jan 7 00:46:42 EST 2006

    >> In fact, googling for "referer" and "referrer" reports a similar
    >> number of hits, unlike most misspellings.

    Terry> You know, I almost mentioned that myself. Drives me crazy.

Me too.  I'm one of those people who, for better or worse, is a good
speller.  Words just look right or wrong to me and it bothers me when they
look wrong.

    Terry> One thing I've figured out is that using the full spelling
    Terry> of a word instead of groovy programmer abbreviations makes
    Terry> it a lot easier to remember the names of things.  Of course,
    Terry> like everything, that can be taken too far, so I still use
    Terry> things like "bkg_clr" too.  Old habits are hard to break.

I do tend to be a bit brief with my names and recognizing an identifier as
an abbreviation don't bother me the way a misspelled word does.  Maybe I've
been using Unix systems for too long with their brief command names like mv
and grep.  I prefer not to write big_honkin_long_names any more than I have
to either.

Skip