Can a simple a==b 'hang' in and endless loop?

Claudio Grondi claudio.grondi at freenet.de
Thu Jan 19 03:26:25 EST 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Dave Hansen wrote:

>>>That depends, the C syntax is like this :
>>>
>>>char *a="hello";
>>>char *b="hello";
>>>
>>>assert(a==b);
>>>
>>>// true, the compiler knows the two hello are the same and assign the
>>>same address(sort of id() in python) to a and b
>>
>>No. The C standard says the compiler is _allowed_ to re-use character
>>literal constants, but is not _required_ to do so.
>

> I could have sworn that fuzzyman's example contained a literal string in
> an array, and an array comparision, so why are you talking about com-
> paring string literals ?   a compiler for which
>
>     char* a[] = { "some string" };
>     char* b[] = { "some string" };

>     if (a == b)
>         printf("True\n");
>
> prints True is definitely broken.
>
> </F>

Exactly this is what Python does under the hood when writing
a = "some string"
b = "some string"
where a and b are actually, in terms of C, pointer to Python object data
structures which provide strings as arrays where it is possible to say
a[0], but ... if here
if(a==b):
   print "True"
_does not_ print True, the Python engine is definitely broken.

Claudio