Preventing class methods from being defined

David Hirschfield davidh at ilm.com
Tue Jan 17 20:05:11 EST 2006

I realize now that it would probably be best to define the problem I'm
having according to the constraints imposed by other requirements, and
not by describing the basic functionality. That way, since there are so
many possible ways to get something like what I want, there will
probably be only one (or none) solutions to the problem that matches the
criteria completely.

So, to restate the original problem: I want to be able to tag the
methods of a class so that they only can be called if some external
global says it's okay. Think of it as a security device for what can or
cannot be called from a particular class instance. So if "restrict" is
True, attempts to call methods on class A: foo() and bar(), will be
disallowed, and raise an exception.

Now, here are the constraints:

Whatever implements this security should be something that class A is a
subclass of, or is in some other way external to the class definition
itself, since multiple classes will want to use this ability.

It can't be a metaclass, because for other reasons, class A already has
a special metaclass, and you can't have two metaclasses on one class
without having one metaclass inherit from the other.

You should not be able to "foil" the security by overriding the secured
methods in a subclass of A. So if A.foo() is "secured" and you make
class B a subclass of A and define b.foo(), b.foo() should also be secured.

The exception that gets raised when calling a restricted method when it
isn't allowed should be able to indicate what method was called on what
class.

I'd prefer not to override __getattribute__ to look at every attempt to
access any attribute of the class instance to see if it's restricted.
It'd also be nice if the ability to restrict some method was done via a
decorator-like syntax:

class X:
    def foo():
    restrict(foo)

So there's the problem and constraints. I've painted myself into a
corner, and I realize that, but I have faith that someone out there who
is far better at python than me, will know some way to do this, or
something close to it.

Thanks again,
-David

--